Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First Trip Alone

There is no way I will ever forget my first trip alone, without my parents or siblings! I left Indianapolis at midnight on an AMTRACK train. My train was late (for some reason this just does not surprise me any more), and I was headed for NYC! Yes, folks, New York City! I was in between my junior and senior year of high school. Lemme tell you, when McCreery asked us to write the typical "What did you do over summer" paper in my Creative Writing class my paper was pretty full :)

The train ride was 23 hours long! I had taken only about $90 for a 3 week stay (I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding). Nope, my parents did not shell out any money, that was all my babysitting money! I had two soda's, a PB & J sandwich and a bag of chips in my bag. That was all I had in my 23 hour trip! I was STARVING when I arrived at Penn Station! :)

I only got up ONE time from my train seat, and that was to use the bathroom! I was scared to leave my stuff in my chair alone. Have you ever tried to sleep in a train seat? UGH! Not comfy! I did not have a CD player, could not read while the train was moving, no seat partner (as if I would talk to a stranger). . . Yeah, I was BORED :)

I saw a man sitting on a train toilet (not a pleasant sight)

I saw parts of OH, PA, WV, and NJ for the first time ever. . . I rode up in one of the Twin Towers. I rode the subway. I rode a city bus! I saw parts of Queens and Manhatten. I went to a college for the day. . . I saw the first Batman movie . . . I saw plenty of homeless people.

And yes, folks, I was a scared teenager :)

But I think this trip opened up so many windows for me. It allowed for me to realize that not all strangers are going to hurt me. That I
could go three weeks without being around my folks (OK, by the end of those 3 weeks I was ready to sleep in my OWN bed though). That I would eventually move out of ol HC and into my own life at some point. It was the start of my freedom, and I enjoyed it a great deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment