Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Drift Off To Deam

Well, I took a mini break from blogging because I had to think of what to blog about and if I wanted to continue blogging, as no one ever comments on them (maybe that is because I have it set -- Liz LMK if you can comment on this one OK). . . . but I thought, What the heck, it's just words, and if people don't want to comment, OH WELL! So, I started a list of things I want to yack about :) So, today it's Drift Off To Dream.

For those that know me, you know I'm a book worm! I used to read ONLY romance novels! Trashy romance! Ya know, the ones where sex is usually involved within the first 50 pages! I remember Frau Lightle turning my books over every day in class because she didn't like the covers! "Does your father know you read those books?" (her husband works with my Daddy-o). Does he know! C'mon! I'm READING a book for crying out loud! Be glad, as I'm certain 80% of the class did not read novels for the enjoyment! YES! My father knew, and yes he had his opinion. . . .and this particular blog has a little about that opinion! You know when you hear something and you just don't want to believe it, because you KNOW it's not true, but you would rather stay in your own little dream world? Well, that was me! I remember my dad telling me over and over "Stacey, it's a fairy tale world! It's make believe. People don't fall in love that easily in real life Stacey! It just doesn't happen! Don't expect some man to do all the stuff that you read about!" Well, guess what? He's right! It is a fairy tale world, but one I enjoyed living in because I just could not face the real world then!

When I started college I was hooked on one particular song - Drift Off To Dream by Travis Tritt. The lyrics are as follows (and there will be more written after it:)

I sit here surrounded by people and lights
Alone with my drink at the bar
You've been here forever, so clear in my mind
I just don't know where you are
I know I'll find you but girl 'til I do
This is my love song for you

Let's hold hands on the porch swing, under the moon
While the wind through the willows plays us a tune
We can lie on a blanket, out back in the yard
And wish for our future on a faraway star
You'll feel the passion as time after time
I press your sweet lips to mine
Then we'll dance to the radio, right up 'til dawn
'Til you drift off to dream in my arms

You might be hundreds or more miles away
Or you might be just down the street
But there'll be a hunger deep in your eyes
That I'll recognize when we meet
It might take hours or it might take years
But this is the song you will hear

Let's hold hands on the porch swing, under the moon
While the wind through the willows plays us a tune
We can lie on a blanket, out back in the yard
And wish for our future on a faraway star
You'll feel the passion as time after time
I press your sweet lips to mine
Then we'll dance to the radio, right up 'til dawn
'Til you drift off to dream in my arms

I would play this song over and over and over as I was CERTAIN that the love of my life would find me and we would do these romantic things! What girl has not dreamed of being whisked off her feet by the love of her life? C'mon, I really believe it is only natural for a female to feel this way. Look at how we are raised on Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel. . . .They ALL found their one true love in the end, so why was it so cotton-pickin' hard for ME to? I was so anxious to find the one that was going to sit on my porch at home and 'snog' with me! All I wanted to lay on the blanket with him and wish on those stars! I wanted to feel his lips upon mine! And darn it, I wanted to drift off to dream in those arms! I wanted it so badly that I jumped into a relationships, just to see if I could find that!

After a few failed relationships in which those romantic things did NOT happen, I started to realize that my Daddy-o was right! Those romance books were a load of crap and that I had been living in a damn fairy tale world! It's not true that one falls head over heels in love, that love at first site exist, that the one you love is going to be a total romantic in all the ways you have dreamed about! How's come teenagers and young adults do not listen to their parents? Geeze, most of the time they are right!

Yeah, I'll admit I wish my husband was a bit more romantic -- OK maybe a lot more romantic (and I know he's reading this :), but I am glad that he has a small romantic side to him. Men and women are so very different when it comes to romance, or maybe it is just me in my make believe world that I need to leave behind. . . but sometimes, when life is treating me like crap (and ladies, let's admit it, we all go thru it once a month when PMS hits us in the stomach like Mike Tyson punching a punching bag) I like to read about women who are being swept off their feet by the love of their life. . . because make believe is not just for kids ya know!

10 comments:

  1. I would have to say that being romantic is not about being superficial and giddy but rather coming from the heart. Showing true romance is being able to express ones heart... not someone else's script!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, Erik! However, every once in a while a girl likes that superficial and giddy stuff! I don't know about Shannon, but when someone rings my doorbell and there is a bouquet of flowers there, *I* get all giddy and mushy!! I find it romantic! When Eluides plans romantic evenings for us (rare and far in between) and he does it from the heart, *I* get all giddy because daggone it we are out without the children, *I* did not have to arrange the babysitters, pick the place we were dining at, and I can just have fun and relax! So I think it may be a mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SNOG? where in the world did you learn that word? I thought that was RVA lingo - Is "snog" part of US slang?

    The Mugster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snog is actual a British term that I picked up from Harry Potter :) Snicker :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to be romantic. Someone just snickers at my attempts sometimes. I send flowers for no reason or show up with the. I believe recently I gave you a rose in the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, now, don't get your jockstrap in a bunch :) Yes, you gave me a rose, I didn't say you are NEVER romantic! And trust me, I'm glad you didn't come out of Speedway with it between your teeth flailing your arms here and there! I would have LMAO at'cha! I just said that my view of romance is different than YOUR view is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. still can't comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, here goes AGAIN!! I hope I can remember what I said.
    Good blog. There is definitely an intrinsic desire in women to be romanced. I read a Christian book "Captivating" which suggests that this intrinsic desire is answered by God. God created women as "the crown of creation" and that she is tremendously valuable and desired. The book suggests that God desires you/us and romances us all the time. I have often felt the desire to be set apart by someone's desire for just me, like the princesses, and I thought this book's idea was novel. It's not that the dreams are false and the reality is a huge disappointment, but that the reality is that the desire is a call and God can provide the answer. It's kind of like we're looking for our prince in the wrong place, when the real Prince is everywhere all the time. He is seeking you/us and knows you/us on a very individual & intimate way....yet still desires us! The amusing part to this all is that five minutes ago I was tremendously disappointed with just plain reality and not being top on anyone's list (as the Prince of Darkness is also seeking us), but your blog reminded me of the truth. I am a priority for the Prince of Peace and God is showing me that everyday, if I just remember to look....that's pretty much what I was trying to say with whatever I posted the first time...somewhere in cyberspace

    ReplyDelete