Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is it a culture difference or an area difference?

Just got home from a totally cute babyshower and had a nice time! However, now I'm debating the question culture v. area. You see, not only am I married to a hispanic man, but I've been transplated from a little town in East Central Indiana to a much larger area in Northwest Indiana. Things are done differently up here, and I have yet to figure out if it is due to the area or if it is the cultural difference. . . . So, for those that follow this blog, PLEASE, comment! I'd like to see what others think as well.

Now, what is the question regarding? Showers, weddings, etc. Here is the debatable question:

Back home, showers (wedding, baby, etc) usually the male is not there. Here, they are REQUIRED to be there. At bridal showers it makes it a wee bit embarrassing when the soon-to-be-hubby is sitting there and one of the gifts opened is a nitey piece. . . Can we say red cheeks all around? Back home, showers are done in peoples houses, or if they want to have one large one, maybe a shelter house at a park or the AMVETS or a high school classroom or something to that affect. Up here, the showers are held at fancy restaurants. . . Places that I know cost over $20 a head. . . Back home it's cake and ice cream and maybe some veggies and meatballs. Here, it's a plated dinner with a cloth napkin.

Outside of Eluides' family and our bridal and baby showers (which were in the basement), I've only been to one other bridal shower up here, and I felt right at home, as it was a home shower. . .

So, does this happen back home and I just don't know about it? Are people in ECI having baby showers at Richards, McD's, or that place out by the airport? Or are they still doing them at home in the living rooms?

Don't get me started on weddings. . . but for now, what are your opinions on showers?

No comments:

Post a Comment