Sunday, October 4, 2009

Leaf Blowing

It's finally fall time, as you couldn't tell with the drop in the temperatures, the leaves falling, the pumpkins and gourds out, and the wonderful colds being passed around! Yes, I'm suffering from a fall cold and it sucks! I ran a day care for 6 years and rarely had a cold, I go into the middle school and I'm sick the first week! Is this karma for making fun of my hubby each fall? Probably!

Anyhow, fall is one of my favorite seasons! In Indiana you go from 90 degrees of heat with humidity to 65 degrees! I LOVE it! I'm not sweating buckets and I can still (most of the time) wear shorts! You can sleep with the windows open and give the 'ol NIPSCO bill a well deserved break before you are sucker punched with a heating bill! The house airs out of the summer stink (and lets in the ol cooty bugs) and the outside world starts to change!

I absolutely LOVE the environmental changes! Your summer flowers start wilting and you replace them with fall mums in yellow, mauves and oranges! The maple trees turn from green to a pink, orange, red and yellow - some of these trees are powerful in colors! You witness the beauty God has blessed us with! I love planning our trips home in the fall because the foliage that you get to take in! The drive through the Peru Salomonie area is just breathtaking (and especially so when you avoid that ginormous doe that just moseyed out of the yellow, dried up corn field)! The forest area is an array of colors that mix together is my all time favorite!

As I rattle on and on I cannot help but explain my all time favorite place to drive by in the fall! As you pull off the highway to go to my Granny's house you will come to the corner of Cherry street and there are two or three massive maple trees on the corner, and they are such a glorious sight! The trees produce such a beautiful rainbow of colors, and if you are lucky enough to catch it at sunset -- WOW!

Of course, fall isn't always great. There is a lot of death in the air. The tree leaves are dying, the flowers and gone and the corn and beans are dried up and waiting for their takers to plow them over. When driving, you must worry about the deer running into the roads, and lastly, you know that the white stuff is going to fall sooner or later. . .

This year I'm still enjoying the colors, but there is a sadness to it. This year it's unlikely that my Ma'amaw will get to see another fall. . . and it makes me very sad to think about. Yet, I realize she's taken in 80 falls! She has been lucky enough to take in a lot of Tennessee falls to boot! I'm pretty sure TN falls have some amazing colors, so she's been very fortunate. I can only hope that I'll get to see 80 falls and take delight in seeing all the little ghouls and goblins at the end of October, running through the rustling leaves as they wait their treats from each house! Yes, fall is sad this year, but I can only imagine what it'll be like for Ma'amaw in heaven! Fall all the time, minus the leaf blowing!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I had a similar thought last night about my grandpa who passed away in July of 08. He was 88. He always called me and had me look out at the moon when it was strikingly large or some neat shape/color (like last night). Anyway, the changing of the seasons is always poignant, but also gives the whole God thing a strange sense of permanence. People come and go, but the seasons are indicative that there is a bigger picture that continues beyond what we acknowledge.

    ReplyDelete